Announcements and Important Events
Dear Middle School Student Athletes & Parents:
The 2020-21 high & middle school athletic programs have been a continuous adjustment since on June 15, 2020. On Thursday, September 3, 2020 the new Governor’s EO 2020-176 Safe Start Rescission of Executive Orders 2020-160 and 2020-162 allowed for football, sideline cheer to start back up, and boys soccer, girl swim and girls’ volleyball to have contests, plus allowed us use of indoor school facilities such as gyms and locker rooms with restrictions. We have been developing how best to correspond these newest guidelines.
The Middle School sports are Football combined team 7/8, combined sideline cheer, 7/8 boy & girls combined Cross- Country, 7th & 8th grade girls volleyball teams.
For those interested in these programs you will be receiving an email to your GI School account or the Parent connect account address you shared with the district from these coaches on how to sign up, first day of practice, and items you will need to participate.
Athletic sports physical - If you did not play a school sport in 2019-20, see the attached MHSAA physical form. If you did play in 2019-20 you ONLY need to fill out the health questionnaire form also attached.
Athletes will need to do a pre-workout/practice screening prior to participating. This will be done before every athletic practice or training session by the coach running the practice or training session.
Face Coverings: All participants and coaches must wear a face covering or mask during activity. A lightweight, non-restrictive, face covering is recommended.
To decrease potential exposure to respiratory droplets, athletes will practice social distancing of at least six feet apart.
The contest schedule: can be found at https://gireddevils.org/ Please note it is under revision as we gain insight to the season outlook. Season first contest currently; MS Football & Sideline Cheer.: First game September 30, 2020, Girls Volleyball first contest September 22, 2020. Cross Country September 19 @ Milan.
Transportation to events: Grosse Ile TWP school will not be providing any type of transportation to meets, games or competitions during the 2020-21 school year. Student athletes and coaches will have to provide their own means to meets, game or competitions to participate that day. Coaches will communicate the time members are to arrive and the school guidelines for team and spectators. Current league policy is no access to fields or gym prior to 30 minutes before the scheduled start time. Directions to these sites can be found https://gireddevils.org/ or your coach can assist you. Please note, not all events are held at school sites.
Hydration & Food: Athletes must bring their own water bottles. Any athlete that does not show up with their own water bottle will not be allowed to participate. Water can be provided if the individual distributing has the appropriate PPE adorned and maintains social distancing. Hydration stations (water cows, water trough, water fountains, etc.) may be utilized but must be cleaned after every practice/contest.
Food should not be shared.
· Modified practices may begin for all middle school sports.
· Practices when able should be conducted in pods when possible.
· Coaches must have a face mask on at all times.
· Athletes Must have a face covering when not actively participating or when social distancing cannot be maintained. During the contest athletes must have a face mask on at all times in or out of a contest, Including cross country athletes.
· Athletes and coaches are expected to disinfect areas and equipment following practice and contest.
· Equipment will not be shared during athletic practices and training without being disinfected first.
· Equipment used during athletic contest practices will need to be disinfected before, when possible, during the contest, and at the end of the event.
· After every practice, athletes will take their clothes home and wash them daily.
· Each player on a roster will be allowed TWO spectators to attend games, home or away. Spectators will need to present identification at the designated gate for their school. Admission prices will be determined by each school. Spectators are encouraged to bring exact change to the gate.
· Paper tickets will not be handed out.
· Once spectators have entered the facility, they will not be able to leave and re-enter. The gates will be closed for the entirety of the game to the outside public. If a spectator must leave the game early they will be allowed to do so with no refund, and no re-entry.
· Spectators are REQUIRED to wear a mask and stay socially distant from attendees at all times. Spectators will be asked to leave the game if this guideline is not followed. If an attendee has a medical condition stating they do not have to wear a mask, they will need to present that at the gate when arriving.
Student athletes and parents, it has been voiced on many occasions that our goal is to have our athletes back participating, However, it will demand of us all to respect the policy and guidelines and the additional commitment and time the coaches and athletes have taken to give them this opportunity. Please join together to ensure we maintain this chance to allow school sports to happen for our student athletes and coaches.
If you have any further questions please join us in one of the sports information meetings conducted by your coach.